Every building has an envelope—an exterior layer that serves as a physical barrier between the internal and external environments. When water penetrates this layer, it can have a marked impact on the building’s integrity and longevity. Additionally, it can cause issues that affect the health and safety of personnel such as the corrosion of metal parts, development of mildew and mold, and the overall weakening of structural supports. Implementing proper sealing materials—such as window and door flashing—can minimize the risk of these occurrences.
The following blog post outlines some of the consequences that result from improper window and door flashing installation, the challenges of achieving a proper seal, and how SillDry serves as the ideal solution to both.
Consequences of a Poorly Sealed Building Envelope
A poorly sealed building envelope poses a tremendous risk to people and structures that are in or near the said building. Potential consequences include:
- Damage to buildings. Flashing serves as a building’s final defense against water penetration that can occur at transitions. Without them, water finds a way in the building, increasing the risk of corrosion, mold, and rot. Additionally, as many of these issues occur within walls or hidden away areas, they can go unnoticed for weeks, months, or years, resulting in more significant damage and higher repair costs.
- Adverse health effects. Higher moisture levels can lead to the development of rot and mold, both of which can cause respiratory issues such as coughing, wheezing, and asthma.
- Greater expenses. The total cost of moisture penetration includes both the cost of building repairs and the profit loss that results from negatively impacted occupant wellness.
Challenges of Proper Sealing
Industry professionals face many challenges in achieving a proper seal for their building envelope, such as:
Buildings constantly shift in tandem with environmental and seasonal changes. When humidity and temperatures change (or bad weather moves in), a building’s envelope is altered. This change can impact the strength and quality of any seals between interlocked parts.
Constancy of Water Intrusion
Water is highly persistent and can take advantage of any weak spot in the envelope to enter the building. Envelopes that seek to prevent water damage serve three functions:
- Prevent as much water intrusion as possible
- Reroute water away from vulnerable components as quickly and effectively as possible
- Remove water inside the building promptly and efficiently
SillDry: Your Partner in Door and Window Flashing Solutions
SillDry is the ideal door and window flashing solution. Our product reliably overcomes every water intrusion challenge to completely seal the building envelope. It is far from the average flashing product—it offers:
- Innovative design and precise engineering
- Durable construction
- Built-in building code compliance
- Low cost
- 15-year limited warranty
- Made in the USA
Whether you’re an architect, developer, or contractor, we have the answer to your water penetration problems. For additional information about SillDry, contact us or check out our eBook, Protecting Your Building Envelope with SillDry. Looking for advice on protecting your building? Please request from our experts.